Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Surprise!

During the process of repairing the door wiring, I discovered that the fog light switch needed at least 2 wires repaired and I also found this little guy.  What is it?




It is some sort of electrical device which, after a quick google search, turns out to be a DEI stinger shock sensor.  Basically it is an add on sensor to an alarm system. But what alarm system?  There isn't supposed to be one on this car.  When I bought the car it did not have key less entry or any key fobs.  Well I traced the wires from this sensor and sure enough they led me to a Viper alarm box!! I didn't know this had an alarm.  The previous owner never mentioned anything about it to me.  So I called the previous owner and he didn't even know there was an alarm system in there!!  I was surprised to hear this and it definitely says somethings about the guy I bought the car from.  Throughout the short time that he owned the car this car, this alarm box was just hanging out under the dash.  Since he nor I had any remotes for this system, I decided to remove it because it is useless to me and someone else somewhere could possibly have the key fobs.  I don't wont someone to see the car and get all nostalgic and try to take steal it.  Unfortunately for me, most alarm systems have fail safes which disable the car if the control box is removed.  I learned this the hard way when I tried to go home from work.  It would not crank.  Luckily the car would at least turn on so I got a push start and finished the alarm removal when I arrived home.  Lessons Learned

No comments:

Post a Comment