Monday, February 21, 2011

Speedometer fix



When I bought the car, the speedometer was not operational. The previous owner instead of trying to fix it correctly, just bought a GPS unit and used the speed readout on it to get by. After doing research before buying the car I learned that the problem could be one of four things: the front drive cable, the rear drive cable, the sensor itself, or the gear inside of the transmission which drives the sensor. With the later meaning that the transmission would need to be torn apart, I was cautious of buying the car but after learning that it was very rare for the gear inside the transmission to fail, I decided that this would be something that I could fix.
Once I was able to dig into the car, I found out the transmission that the previous owner had installed was a 93+ transmission which use an electronic speed sensor, not a cable driven sensor. The electronic speed sensor was still on the transmission with nothing connected to it. The front cable was still on the car and the rear cable was gone. I ordered the front and rear cables along with a mechanical speed sensor. I was able to recoup some money by selling the electronic sensor. After using this how-to to install all of the parts and then adjusting the tachometer needle, everything was squared away and functioning properly. Mission Accomplished

btw if you own an MR2 I recommend snooping around Stephen Mason's website to find other fixes for common MR2 problems.

1 comment:

  1. Stephen, did you have any performance issues due to the non-working speed sensor? My Mk1 speedo is out and I am trying to troubleshoot this issue.

    ReplyDelete