Monday, February 21, 2011

So it begins






















































This is a blog I created to chronicle the life of my 1991 Toyota MR2. I have a lot of catching up to do as I have had this car for almost 3 years. I bought it on March 3rd 2008 from a guy on the north side of Atlanta, GA. His name was Dan and he seemed to be in his early 20's.

Here is a link to the ImportAtlanta.com thread where I found the car. You don't need to be a member to view it.
No I did not pay his asking price. I also bought the car without the '94 tail lights which knocked down the price even more.
Here is a link to a photobucket album with a bunch of pictures that the previous owner had taken.

As far as the history of the car, here is what I know:
-It had 6 previous owners making me the 7th
-It is a 1991 Toyota MR2 NA chassis and had a 2nd gen engine and transmission swapped into it
-The 6th owner replaced the transmission because it died on him. I believe he said it had something to do with the axles.
-When the turbo swap was completed, the person doing the swap re-used the NA body wiring harness and hacked it up to "work." Turns out the CEL never worked and that's how I discovered the original NA harness. I have since replaced it with the proper 93 Turbo body harness.
-It was originally painted red from the factory. The paint was faded and possibly oxidized at one point and the 6th owner bought it from the 5th owner under the stipulation that it was repainted. Turns out the 5th owner had it painted for $400 at a MAACO who did a horrible job. They did not remove a single piece from the car when they painted it. This means the entire engine bay, front trunk, door jambs, rear trunk, gas door lid, etc, all still show red paint. The paint itself also is of poor quality. I believe it was a single stage paint. If you look up close to the car, you will see many small lines in the paint. I've put several hours of my own time into correcting these lines. So far I have only repaired the hood, front bumper, and the two front fenders. Pictures of all of this to come later.
-There were a few problems with the door locks and window switches. One or the other door wouldn't lock and one window only roll down by using the switch on the other door. Turns out the door wiring harnesses had a few breaks in it. This is actually a common problem with MR2s because the rubber boot covering the wires actually pulls on the wires and over time from opening and closing the door thousands of times, they 20 year old wires break.
-There was an aftermarket alarm system installed up under the dash. When I found it I called the previous owner and he had no idea it was there. I also found a few wires which were cut. More on this later with pictures.
-The shades for the t-tops and the bags which hold the t-tops (for when they are removed) were both missing along with the spare tire and the plastic trim which both go in the front trunk.
-There was some random old FM transmitter or signal amplifier or something just chillin under the carpet in the passenger foot well near the radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment