Wednesday, March 30, 2011

New Wing and Wire Tuck

The gen2 engine is completely removed from the car.  I spent some time putting the rear suspension and subframe back together.  Now the car is off of the jack stands and has become a rolling chassis.  I also "tucked" the body wiring harness.  This consists of taking the engine bay fuse box and relocating it into the trunk along with the igniter and ignition coil.  The aesthetic appeal is the only reason for hiding the wire harness.  It is still accessible in the trunk and if done properly, takes up no usable cargo volume.
To get the fuse box in the trunk the entire harness must be removed from the car and then fed back through the gap in the left rear fender in the trunk.  A hole must be opened up behind the driver's rear speaker to feed the wires through.  The last step is to reconnect the harness connector as they were before removal.  I also took the time to hide the engine lid release cable in a similar fashion.  It now runs through the same gap in the rear fender alongside the wiring harness.  Again, the only reason is for aesthetic appeal.  I had seen several pictures of other MR2's with hidden harnesses and wanted to do this on my car.  Since I will be painting the engine bay very soon, I wanted the overall finished product to look as clean and simple as possible.  I've also seen that some of the coolant hoses can be replaced with shorted and simpler pieces.  The next task on the list is to remove and clean everything that is currently in the engine bay to get ready for the paint process.  I've already started stocking up on GM Arctic White paint.  I've added pictures of the engine bay before and after hiding the harness below.

I've had an Autopista wing sitting in a box in my garage for a few months now.  With the car being down I lost some interest in keeping it.  I decided to install the wing to see if I would like and it also to give me a little glimpse of what this car will be like when all of the work is complete.  You'll have to ignore the high rear end.  Because the engine is removed, it does not have the stance as it normally would.

Before hiding the harness
After hiding the harness.  Notice that you can only see a few inches of the engine latch cable at the right.  Unfortunately I only took pictures from this angle.  I need to show what it looks like from the other side as there is more of a noticeable difference.  In the picture below you can see that I cleaned off the crud from the rear subframe.  I had no idea it was a gray color because of all the grime that had built up over time.

Lastly, here are pictures of the new Autopista wing installed.  It has a little bit of the Acura NSX-R look to it with the black wing.  For the time being, the wing will stay black.  I am thinking about going with a white and black color scheme.  I could paint the front lip black and I also plan to get a set of Shine Auto C1 3 piece read add-ons.  I changed my mind from the border rear add-ons that I had originally planned on getting.

No comments:

Post a Comment